Ok, so we know this should be about tea as a beverage... However, I’ve been thinking for a while about ”have your tea and eat it” recipes – innovative, fun, delicious ways you could happily marry the texture and flavours of teas to food. It shouldn’t be rocket science, especially if we start with one of the healthiest, easiest, straightforward ingredient: matcha – a super potent powder full of crazy healthy benefits. You are probably familiar by now with it, the ground Gyokuro green tea in powder form which has taken the world by storm. If you want to google the health benefits of Matcha green tea and explore some trustworthy sources you’ll be amazed by some of the findings. Some studies say Matcha has more antioxidants than pomegranate or blueberries. Others found that the antioxidant known as catechins (unique to Matcha) have potent cancer-fighting properties and can also help counteract the effect of free radicals from pollution or UV exposure. Of course, drinking the stuff involves a whole (often messy) ritual in which a match bowl and wooden whisk are deployed. But should you choose to pair it with creamy white chocolate and maybe a topping of your choice (coconut sprinkles, freeze dried raspberries, ground nuts) and with or without a toasted hazelnut inside (Ferrero Rocher style!) matcha gets a whole new dimension. The truffles are not overly sweet and have a very original, slightly bitter, typical matcha taste, mellowed by the buttery creaminess of white chocolate. Recipe below:
- 150 g white chocolate
- 100 ml fresh double cream
- 2 heaped teaspoons matcha
- To coat: raw cocoa, ground almonds or coconut flakes, in separate bowls
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. Put into a small pan with matcha and cream.
- Let the chocolate melt on a very low heat, constantly stirring.
- Transfer the mixture into a container, close tightly with a lid and refrigerate until the ganache has thickened (at least 3 hours or it can also stay in the fridge overnight or even for several days).
- Dust the inside of your hands with the chosen coating, quickly form a truffle using only the fingers put it into a bowl with coating and, moving the bowl, coat the truffle thoroughly.
- Repeat until all mixture is used and refrigerate.
Elegant. Easy. And best enjoyed with friends and cup of green tea of course…